What to do if your dog eats poison ivy

Poison Ivy
dog poison ivy

Have you ever wondered what would happen if your beloved dog ate poison ivy? Having your pet ingest a plant can cause them to become very sick or even die, depending on how much they’ve eaten. Find out the signs of a poisoned pup and what action you should take if it happens to yours.

What are the symptoms of poison ivy in dogs?

Symptoms of poison ivy poisoning can range from mild to severe. Some of the most common signs include redness, itchiness, swellings, vomiting, and even seizures if the situation is serious enough. Most cases are not fatal but it’s important to take your dog to the vet right away to help them recover. Be sure to let your veterinarian know what plant was ingested so they can treat accordingly.

How can I identify poison ivy?

poison ivy

Knowing how to identify poison ivy is important if you want to keep your pup safe from the toxicity of the plant. Poison ivy can be identified by its three leaves, green in color, and smooth stems. The plant has small clusters of white or yellowish-green flowers and whitish-yellowish berries. Poison ivy can grow as a ground cover in soils along roadsides, woodlots, open fields, or gardens.

What are some signs that my dog ate poison ivy?

Many times symptoms are mild and will include some vomiting or diarrhea but in severe cases, dogs can go into anaphylactic shock, which is severe and should be treated by a veterinarian right away.

Knowing how to identify poison ivy and keeping your dog on a leash when out on walks can help keep them safe.