My pups loved and I mean LOVED this recipe!
As a pet parent with a dog that has pancreatitis, it can be difficult to watch what he is eating while making sure he has some variety in his diet. Let me tell you why this was perfect for him!
Pumpkin: all natural pumpkin without anything added is a great source of fiber and helps with digestion.
Flax and Chia: These are also great sources of fiber and essential fatty acids
Oats: While these are optional, if you choose to include them they are a great alternative carbohydrate for dogs, especially those sensitive to other grains. They also provide a boost of omega-6 fatty acids and linoleum acid.
Applesauce: It is low on taste but high in flavor, which is why I decided to add these to their treats
Beets: While dogs should be limited in beets it is packed with vitamins and fiber. If your dog has kidney or bladder stones you may want to skip adding them and frosting on top of the treats as beets are high in oxalates and could be an issue for dogs predisposed to the issues.
V-Day Heart Dog Cookies with Frosting
- 1 cup Pumpkin (unsweetenetd and Pureed)
- 1/4th cup ground chia and flax seed mix
- 1/2 cup oats (optional)
- 1/4th cup applesauce
- 1/2 cup flour (coconut)
- 1 cup Yogurt (nonfat & unsweetened)
- 1/4th cup beet juice
- 1/2 cup starch (potato or tapioca)
Pink Pupkin Valentines Day Cookies
- Mix the chia/flax blend, oats and apple sauce with the pumpkin
- Blend in the applesauce
- Add flour to desired consistency
- Stir and knead it until flat
- Cut out desired shapes or shape by hand
- Bake for 25 Minutes at 350 degrees
Pink Pupkin Frosting
- Blend together nonfat yogurt, beet juice and starch
- Mix until desired consistency
- Place in refrigerator until cookies are done
- Spread over cookies and let your pup enjoy!
- Can keep in refrigerator for up to a week
- Remember that these treats are healthy and beneficial for your pup in moderation! They are not meant to replace meals. Always speak with your vet prior to feeding your dog anything they are not used to having
WANT MORE RECIPES? JOIN OUR EMAIL LIST!